Monday, March 31, 2008

real live girl

My friend Tanya makes fascinating video art that explores the borderlands between the public and the private. In a culture obsessed with reality and authenticity (see my Peggy Selzer post), her work manages to both exist autonomously as art and to self-reflexively critique the modes through which we perform and embody our lives. One of these days I will ask her whether I can write the essay on her art that I have brewing in my head. All this to say, Tanya's uploaded a bunch of her videos onto this website: http://tanyabezreh.blip.tv. Some of them are recordings of live performance pieces she's created and some of them, like the DIY Holiday Musical, are self-contained "films." Go check out her stuff if you get a chance. She also blogs. Whether or not you think analytically about media like I do, you can appreciate how cute and endearing Tanya is, and admire how her work manages to be both joyful and candid, whimsical and analytical. p.s. I stole that image from Tanya's website.

No comments: