Sunday, March 02, 2008

i also spent some time in the warm sun

Today I went to my first ever college basketball game. I saw the "Lady Hoosiers" (I find the "Lady" part kind of a questionable prefix) whoop the asses of the Penn State "Lady Lions." No matter how impressive the players were, I persist in being equally impressed by the athletic stunts and sharp claps of cheerleaders (seriously: three level pyramids, multiple midair somersaults culminating in basket drops, coordinated rows of back flips). Bucking recent trends, the Hoosier cheerleaders wore remarkably chaste uniforms, all 50's sweaters and hair ribbons. The band did a cover of "Welcome to the Jungle." I chatted with Tracy about her wedding plans. Abdel clued me in on the reasoning behind some of the fouls - the only team sport I ever played in any kind of organized fashion was soccer. And there were some pretty nice plays on the court too. They even let the little 5'3" player on at the last minute. Also, it was interesting to see what a family sport women's basketball is; I couldn't keep track of how many little tiny girl were thronging to slap the hands of the players. All in all, it was a good way to spend a Sunday afternon.

No comments: