Monday, December 10, 2007

single girl, married girl

All this yoking of theory I'm doing - travel narratives, epistolary novel, creolization, national allegory - is making my head hurt. In two days it will all be over, though who knows whether what I'll have to show for the semester will be in any way worthwhile. I took a break and listened to some sad and rockin love songs last night, though, and that helped.

Sitting at a red light on the way home tonight, V and I observed a gaggle of girls taking pictures of the Christmas lights around Courthouse Square, all holding out their cell phones high in the air. They finished just in time to lose their walk signal, and sort of lingered, edging out into the road as the left turn arrow blazed. We winced in anticipation of the inevitable; they wandered across the street just as the light turned green for us to go. As V and I flung our hands around and cursed them out to each other (look, it's the end of the semester and our nerves are shot), I looked over at the one girl left on the sidewalk, the sole adherer to pedestrian regulations, and I realized it was one of my students. A good, earnest, student. So, of course, I waved.

Earlier that day I saw a murder of crows loudly congregating on the maples along one of the campus paths. Their squawking was a lot more palatable than these girls'.

No comments: