Sunday, November 12, 2006

Weekend, Weekend

Turns out herding MFAs really does get them out onto the dance floor. What with the rain tents and lights and the serious rock of Steven!, the MFA band, it was quite the time. Would that the rest of the weekend had been as work productive as that was fun productive. V and I have been ridiculous with our chit chatting instead of working (too fun!). I love it when she says things like "befitting her station."

This weekend's distraction was brought to you by The Queen. Beautifully done. It made sense when I saw that the director, Stephen Frears, had made Dirty Pretty Things, which I loved. Even though I'm not going to England this winter, I'm immersing myself in its culture (reading England, England now). This movie made me think about how having a female monarch presiding over the fall of the Empire might have contributed to the monarchy retaining what power it has; the film's illumination of the Rosie the Riveter aspects of the Queen's personality helped me understand the "progressive" element of her postion, which I think I'm generationally and culturally removed from. I've also been wondering what will happen to the institution in the coming male reigns. Which will happen soon, I suppose -- an odd thought.

I would much rather rake leaves and run on a treadmill than read right now. My brain is a floating balloon. But look at me avoid The Wizard of Oz which is playing out there in the living room and focus. Yes, look at me go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read your headline as "a cage for my lettuce."

That's what too much reading can do to a person.