Wednesday, November 08, 2006

"Let us take a turn about the room"

Is it a seminar foul when the professor has the flu but asks the students to have the class anyway? What if it's an election night and the students would like to watch the results come in?

V and I ate sesame chicken and broccoli and cabbage whipped up on the spot by me and watched the Midterm Midtacular. I was teased by multiple parties for my grimacing and fidgety involvement in the election results, but there is a long tradition of this, from Mary and my marathon Katrina coverage sessions to the Buffy crowd event mentioned over in Stoveland. It was a little bit like the feeling of following the last football game I watched. Familiar, old and exciting. Even if the stakes were ever so much higher. Perhaps I needed to think of it that way so I wouldn't be so sad if the results went badly.

V just wrote this beautiful line: "its wings as grey as timber beat upon the bulb."

I want to write all about Stove's visit, but she did it all. Suffice it to say, all parties including Barnaby are sad that she is gone. And a little worried that too much gossip was had. But mostly feeling the aftermath of her presence that made everything glow a little bit brighter in this dim November.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

A line of perfect iambic hexameter. Bon appetit!