Monday, June 02, 2008

small town part II

There's a sweet little cafe in town, Neannie's, where I like to go for brunch on occasion. It's in my neighborhood, not "downtown" like most of the other restaurants, and thus attracts a decidedly older, more local crowd than the undergrads who frequent many of the other spots. Sadly, shortly after the new (young!) owner bought the business, her landlord decided not to renew her lease, hoping for more money from an office. Nearly every time I go I get the Mediterranean quiche; although I'm not the hugest quiche fan, the spinach and kalamata olives in this quiche are surprisingly delightful. Seriously, it's easier to find good Tibetan food in Indiana than good Italian or Greek. So I ate at Neannie's yesterday and as I was ordering, I lamented to the owner/server that I had unknowingly eaten my last of her delightful quiches. She promptly ran into the back and gave me the recipe. Her recipe. On an index card. With her handwriting. Torn out of a recipe box. What a nice thing to do for a relative stranger! It made my day. I can only hope she has it memorized and not that she's never going to make it again.

No comments: