Saturday, June 14, 2008

boston originally, bloomington most recently, portland eventually

My mother and I decided to take a spontaneous vacation to Key West to bond, since we're both in liminal spaces - me between graduate school and life after graduate school, Mom between college presidents and close to retirement. It's been the best vacation I've had in ages - the perfect combination of activity and relaxation, doing what we feel like when we feel like it, and serendipitous discoveries. I haven't seen any geckos, but the big surprise for me was how many wild roosters hang out all over this island. Also, I've seen a number of chihuahuas running loose, and I have a theory that the gay men who come visit here lose them and now they run wild in packs, getting ready to challenge the cats at the Hemingway house to a gang war dance-off.

Today was a momentous day. I:
  • Saw Hemingway's typewriter and toilet.
  • Petted one of Hemingway's cats.
  • Ate conch fritters.
  • Narrowly escaped getting chomped on by a shark in the ocean (for reals!).
  • Watched 3 weddings happen simultaneously on the beach.
  • Went to the Southernmost Dairy Queen.
  • Saw a giant rainbow rooster float at the Pride Parade.
  • Waved to Cuba.
  • Took pictures of the zero mileage maker of Route 1 (a road that has deep childhood meaning for me).
  • Got caught in several rain storms.
  • Watched my freckles surface.
  • Watched a manatee-dolphin-shark frolic in the waves.
  • Ate Cuban bread for breakfast.
  • Read some of Junot Diaz's latest, finally, which is awesome so far.
There was a lot more, but I can't remember now. Tomorrow we're going kayaking and hopefully we'll see sting rays and egrets. We'll be making our way back tomorrow night. I'm hoping for one last ocean swim. I left my phone in Connecticut, so if you've been trying me, sorry. Then it's Vermont on Thursday and Portland after that.

Really, I recommend everyone go to the warm ocean after moving. I did yoga in the warm water and my sore muscles feel much better. Pictures when I get back!

5 comments:

ryan said...

the next night we ate whale

Anonymous said...

I miss miss miss you. But glad you're having a beautifully well-deservedly wonderifically awesome time.

(I'm a little sad, though, because it just occurred to me that I'll be reading this blog pretty much from now on, minus the six Putney weeks, to know what's going on with you. Can't just stumble into your bedroom after a long day, flop on your bed, and catch up.)

Sarah said...

Were the cats many-toed? This makes me feel more tranquil just reading it--really. I miss you!

Megan Savage said...

no, the next night we ate manatee!

Shawna said...

sounds like a lovely day. i can't remember the last time i left my house for anything other than groceries or a dr. appointment lol. it was nice to have an adventure reading your post. :)