Wednesday, April 02, 2008

i don't sleep i dream

In unstable times in my life my psyche always decides to turn itself up a notch and provide me with the strangest, most unsettling dreams. The kind of dreams it's hard to wrench yourself out of, whether they're good or bad, because they're so consuming. Lately I've had a spate of these dreams, and it's hard to know whether to be grateful for their vividness or to be frustrated by their disruptiveness. The other night I was climbing a cliff away from a beach, when the cliff turned to sand and I was grappling with the root systems of wildflowers trying to climb it. I was also explaining to someone the story of JFK rescuing the crew of his PT boat with a coconut. A couple of nights ago I was in some fascist country that was a mixture of Nazi Germany, Japan and North Korea. I was breaking into a militarized building with a few friends in order to dig up the graves of people we'd once known. For some reason, I had to go through this process several times in order to clutch the decomposing body of a loved one in my arms. Last night I was being accosted by someone in scuba gear. I'd really like to wake up feeling well rested for once.

2 comments:

Catherine Lacey said...

Megan, I have dreams about disentegrating mountains too... madness.

Megan Savage said...

Wow! And I didn't even mention that I think perhaps there were Putney people on the beach below...