Wednesday, March 14, 2007

rememberances

I just found out my friend and colleague from last summer, Lucinda Mason, passed away a few days ago. She was a brilliant, vibrant artist who worked in large-scale, in art as in life. She will be missed. Here's one of her pieces:


Addendum: Here's what I remembered today. One day last summer, when I was having a tough time of it, for some reason that's long gone to me now, Lucinda invited me down to her little cabin by Grey House. She little the stubs of candles she had lying around and fed me plums. We sat on her porch in the warm night and talked. I don't remember what she said, only that it was reassuring. We looked out over the pasture. In the fog a pack of horses emerged and disappeared again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - I went to college with Lucinda and just found out she died last night when I read our alumni magazine. Do you know what happened to her? I'm so sad. Thank you.

Megan Savage said...

No, I never found out the cause. I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

I went to Bennington with Lucinda. We'd take winter walks and,in the early fall, spend hours talking, reading, and resting in the fields. She had such a pretty smile and a very poetic air about her. I miss her.

Megan Savage said...

I notice a number of people googling Lucinda's death and finding this blog. I want to be clear that I never knew her very well, but she moved me as she seems to have moved so many people. I lived in that cabin last summer. Her spirit was still very much alive there and in the memories of her coworkers.