Sunday, July 03, 2005

nerd camp

Everyone jokes that CTY is nerd camp and that's really true. I made a joke about William Henry Harrison the other day and everyone listening laughed. It's not the kind of camp I long for, sleeping outside and singing all the time, but it has its merits. The kids had a social the other night and you haven't lived until you've seen 250 kids shouting "die, die, die, die" after the line "this'll be the day that I die" in "Bye, Bye Miss American Pie" while strobe lights flash around them. Today is Super Death Dodge Ball which reportedly involves the staff standing in a tight huddle while all the kids surround us and throw balls at us. Eek.

The social scene here is a little funny. While the staff aren't all as nerdy as the campers, there's certainly enough social awkwardness to go around. It's getting better though. I stayed up til 4am the other night learning to play chess (nerdy!) and last night we gathered to watch the phenomonally awful movie Dr. Mordrid (my geeky moment was recognizing Kabal, the evil wizard, as the actor who played both Luke and The Judge on Buffy). Making friends is happening slowly, not in that tight camp rush I remember, but I have a feeling it will happen by the time I leave. And I'm telling myself I need to write anyway.

This is sure pretty turf at any rate, and I'm going to enjoy hiking around and hanging out in NoHa and going off in search of swimming holes. Summer is barrelling head over heels. I'm not getting nearly enough done.

No comments: